Green Banking is a term that refers to promotion of environmentally friendly practices that aid Banks and their clients in identifying and managing environmental risks as well as reducing their carbon footprint and related socially adverse actions.
Green banking optimizes costs, reduces the risk, enhance banks reputations and contribute to the common good of environmental sustainability. So it serves both the commercial objective of the bank as well as its social responsibility.
Green Banking Guidelines
According to the Green Banking Guidelines (SBP) Issued vide IH&SMEFD Circular # 08 dated October 09, 2017, Green Banking Office has been established under the ambit of Risk Management Division. Following are the activities that have been performed:
- Established annual plan for internal capacity building of its officials on green banking.
- Established annual plan for Green Awareness Campaigns.
- Included disclosure of its green banking activities and initiatives in the Management Discussion and Analysis section of its Annual Report.
- SBL has converted some of its ATM’s machines into solar energy.
- Incorporated green marketing aspects in its marketing strategy.
- New Account Opening Forms have been designed which has lower 50% of the paper.
- Go Green Bags has been distributed bank wide to discourage use of plastic bags in bank premises.
- We have developed E-statements now to save paper.
- SBL evaluates the impacts & likelihoods of the business which directly or indirectly affect the Environment.
- We are converting high consuming electric lights into energy efficient LED lights.
Green Banking Office
Soneri Bank Limited (Central Office Karachi)
5th Floor, Al-Rahim Tower
II Chundrigar road, Karachi, Pakistan